FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alternative Airlines out of SFO
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:09 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I've been quite happy as an EXP on AA out of SFO. If the main reason you dropped AA was because of a strike, I'd suggest you put it behind you.

The respective advantages and disadvantages of AA and UA out of SFO constitute lists too long for me to get into now. I think if you search the UA and AA boards, you'll find various posts discussing this. But to name a few factors in AA's favor:

1. A far better FF program.
2. As an EXP, far more likely to score complimentary upgrades out of SFO than a 1K is.
3. In a related vein, a much more transparent upgrade system.
4. Nicer terminal and lounge.
5. Shorter security lines.
6. An easier reservation system for the passenger and airline agents to deal with. Even if and when the many temporary glitches with UA's SHARES system are ironed out, it will remain an antiquated system that limits flexibility.

Of course, it also depends on your flying patterns and preferences. Lots of folks like Virgin and JetBlue, both of which have in-seat IFE, with the former being a spiffy new airline with inflight connectivity and all of the seats on the latter having relatively good leg room. The downside is that their route networks, particularly Virgin at this point, are limited.