FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are the rules for non-rev upgrades?
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:25 pm
ufo

What are the rules for non-rev upgrades?

Had an interesting experience over the past couple of days with using a SWU (I guess GPU) for my wife.

We used them on an international W fare to Europe. The return leg was available at time of ticketing but the outbound was not.

At the 24 hour mark, the waitlist in the reservation expired, as expected and when we checked her in and she showed up on the 'stand-by' list that you can see right now only on the mobile site (mobile.united.com)

What was interesting, was that there were some other names on there, some of them above her on the list, and all the other names on there also on the flight general (coach) standby list and cleared. I called reservations to check my wife's standby was listed as a 1K per the GPU that was used, and the agent confirmed it was correct, and let slip that at least one of the others on the list was a 'pass rider' - which explains why they had cleared the coach-standby list and were added to the BF standby-list. (BTW, there were ample coach seats, so no reasons for someone who was a paying customer to be on the standby list)

So here's my question.... is there any circumstance that a non-rev can be higher up the standby list for Business class than a 1K GPU passenger?

Thanks,

UFO