FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you value your family's safety and pets please read
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:35 am
kipper
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Tizzette
As a dog lover from a family of dog lovers, and also as a landlord, my take is that it is irresponsible for a hotel to take breeds with known agressive tendencies. People who own the agressive breeds usually choose them not just as pets to love but also to protect, or at least deter, crime against themselves. There is kind of a thrill to owning a scary dog. Yes, many or most pit bulls (American Staffordshire Terriers), Rottweilers, etc. are sweet and trustworthy, at least as long as their owners are present. But the danger has not been entirely bred out of the pet dogs, and of course there are the fighting dogs where agression is purposefully bred in. And let's be honest, how many dogs have been completely and reliably trained? Not these pitts, and not the six month old pitt puppy who jumped his own front fence to maul my son's Australian Shepherd walking on a leash. The pitt's owners could not believe it. It would be unwise for me to put my other tenants at risk of a situation occurring when the dog was unsupervised and wound up mauling some child trying to play with the doggie. That particular news story pops up where I live every year. Yes, it is possible that a Toy Poodle could go postal just like a pit bull, but a Toy Poodle cannot do nearly the harm.
Wow, stereotype much?

Any dog can decide to defend their property, and a bigger dog will do more damage, just due to anatomical differences in size/muscle strength.

Sounds like you have a personal history that biases you against pit bulls, considering one jumped a fence to hurt your son's dog.

Define an unsupervised dog? One where the owner allows it to be outside without keeping an eye on it? To me, that's not the dog's fault that it was placed into that situation, that's the owner's fault, and that tells me that the owner isn't responsible. Or, did you mean unsupervised where the dogs are kept in a locked hotel room or house, when the owners aren't home, so that only someone who shouldn't be inside the home could be in contact with the dogs?