FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easy ways to prevent expiration of Avianca/TACA lifemiles
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:19 am
ANC RED-EYE
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Easy ways to prevent expiration of Avianca/TACA lifemiles

Hi all-

I thought I would post a couple of tips to keep orphan lifemiles accounts from expiration.

This is certainly not a primary program of mine...but given frequent travel to and within Central America (occasionally on TACA's regional partners), it is one I've accumulated a reasonable amount of miles on.

As an aside, I've recently discovered that those miles can be redeemed at a pretty good value for travel within Central America (where there are few options that are frequently VERY costly), especially with the new one way awards AND miles and cash options. Hope these options stay around long enough for me to benefit from them.

In any case, 2 reasonable options to keep accounts active:

Shopping Portal - I cannot speak to how competitive this portal is, but a small purchase at a participating merchant will keep an account active for 2 additional years...a very cost effective investment to prevent expiration. Just allow 2-3 months lead time prior to expiration for miles to post.

Miles Donation - it appears that a donation of any amount of miles would extend expiration by 2 years...a free means of keeping your account active.

Hope this helps someone.