FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:23 pm
motytrah

Originally Posted by j_mee
Discounted J does not offer the flexibility of a Refundable Ticket. Also discounted J has advanced purchased rules. I often travel on tickets purchased a week prior to travel, at that point only full J fares are available which is easily double what my refundable Y fare is.
I think that's atypical for most companies. They usually have preferred carrier agreements (if they are big enough companies) where all sorts of rebates more than cover fees. Most companies use a corporate travel agency. And even if it's a non-refundable ticket the exchange still gets repriced, so it's not like it's that much different for the TA. I would hypothesize that maybe if your travel is billed directly back to a client AND they have a preferred carrier agreement, they would get an even bigger rebate and no fees to deal with. It would be kind of unethical to do to the customer, but certainly not illegal. But that's just my speculation.

Be that as it may, as someone that hasn't been in the Y cabin international in over a decade I will depart from some of this shareholder value nonsense other folks have said. I have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. I fly J or Above. Don't like it, don't sign my contract.

I would also say that as a MSP based flyer we don't exactly see the nicer planes, or convenient routes anymore. And I'm under no illusion that someone if going to pick me up in a Porche or any of the other soft perks you get in JFK or ATL. Most of my international trips are usually 1-stop be DL, AA or UA/CO. The folks that are talking about product need to keep in mind because DL is not the same system wide. My experience is AA J is just as good as DL on the routes I've been flying as of late and usually cheaper.