FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I hate tipping, how can we end it?
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:36 pm
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Amen.

And on top of your bill, there is 13% tax - so really - you end up paying 25-30% premium on your bill.

Anyone ever tells me service is not included - they are getting zero tip.

Unlike some, I have no problems leaving zero tip, and at most rounding up to the nearest dollar.

It used to be "tip the tax" - but when tax went down from 15% to 13%, it somehow went up to - tip 20%.... 20%... I dont think so.

We had a group go out and got smacked with an 18% mandatory service charge - we counted out pennies for exact change on the bill. If they didnt have the charge, the tip would ve been likely larger.
Yup, the whole 'tip the tax' thing used to be how I did it. But now with the mobile credit card machines they use, where you enter the tip %, if you notice, the % goes on the whole bill (including tax) which I am guessing most people don't entirely think about - my guess is servers end up better off with these machines as with paper, you tip your % on the base (as you see it in front of you) but on the machine the % key puts it on the whole thing (make sense?) So now I do often 'tip the tax' acknowledging that 13% post tax is pretty close to 15% pre tax.