FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Train fares expensive in Italy?
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:22 am
KQ321

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just tried that, but it won't let me book the fare online.
Sorry, it seems Giggleswick and I weren't entirely clear. bahn.de can be very useful for planning journeys, as it has a more powerful search tool than many operators' websites, and has (almost) complete data for much of Europe. However, it will only sell tickets for journeys that are in, or start or end in, Germany. To purchase tickets for journeys outside of Germany, you have to go to the relevant operator's website (ie: Trenitalia, in your case).

Originally Posted by lsquare
Also, how can I restrict the results to show only intercity routes? For example, from Milan to Venice? It's already too late for me to buy fast train fares for cheap. I think IC is the next fastest option, but cheap enough for me to buy them. These are the good value fares that were mentioned earlier right? Bahn.de does show R instead of IC (what I was expecting). Does that mean they're regional fares?
On bahn.de, you can select/de-select the different train types under 'Further Search Options' then 'Advanced Selection Of Means Of Transport'. Looking at Milan to Venice on 8th April, it seems there are the following options:
Eurostar Italia ('ICE' on bahn.de): every hour or so, journey time 2h35
EC ('IC/EC' on bahn.de): 1 train each day, at 12:05, journey time 2h35
R ('NV' on bahn.de): 1 train every 4hrs or so, journey time 3h30

For fare information, you'll have to look at Trenitalia - but the info from bahn.de should give you an idea of what train options are available.