FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amankila and Amandari
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Smile Enjoy Kila & Wana

Originally Posted by ridefar
Amanwana has a private sand beach 10 min away? Really? Where?

I *loved* Amanwana! I would go back in a heartbeat. But I can't think of a private sand beach that close unless you mean by boat. And that means no food/drinks/service etc. Maybe not the end of the world, but not a quick walk either.
Originally Posted by 5khours
Was there in August, I would agree about the service, but I actually thought the food was exceptionally good (caveat: ate almost entirely Indonesian food). I thought the villas were the nicest of any of the Aman resorts I've been to... nice combination of privacy and view. I spent a lot of time at a world class beach when I was younger so didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by the beach at Kila. The thing I liked best though was being off the beaten path and being able to walk around in nearby villages that had not yet been inundated by tourists. Good diving too if you like that. I'ved probably stayed at 15 or 20 places (including Nusa and Dari) in Bali, and bottom line... Kila is in my opinion the nicest.

I'm not a big fan of Phuket, but I go there a few times a year for Puri. I wouldn't go to Bali for Kila, but I would go to Bali for its own sake, and Dari is a great place to stay if you're going.

BTW - Thanks for the advice on Amanwana. Looking at the pictures the beaches didn't look great so it's good to know they have a great beach.
Originally Posted by Flying Bat
Kila vote +1

Hands up - I am a Kila fan.
Am Amanjunkie fr '89 & still enjoy going to Kila .. As of now will be twice this year when we return to celebrate her 20 th anniversary in July.
Was it twice or thrice last year ( for Kila - & also some other Amans - some times we don't even make it to the beach in the day !

The food has been good with Guy heading the kitchen. At one time, Dari was best.

As I mentioned in some other thread on service, Aman staff are top for being poached - especially with many new properties being opened on Bali . Amanpuri has been facing same for years. Perhaps that's why Fred , GM Amanpuri , avoids meeting us as far as possible & leaves it to Sandra ..
Tracy makes it a point to see us .. Unless she's stuck somewhere else like being in hospital. The team likely will not let on tho'. So for those who wonder why Tracy is a no show after making an ' appointment ', there 's a valid reason but the team maybe too embarrassed to say - it's the culture there.
Amanwana has many lovely beaches a few mins by boat away. The team brings along anything you'd like to have tho' the honeycomb ice cream should be enjoyed quickly