FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:34 am
ajhun9

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Hi all - quick summary of events that transpired earlier this week. Just looking for anyone who might have had similar experience and candid view on what sort of additional compensation can be expected (if any).

• Flight from LAS to IAH on 757-300 w/24 F seats
  • Booked on Q fare, GS status, upgraded to F 2 days before flight. About 5 or 6 empty seats in F when I selected seats, but I don't know how many available for sale because I didn't check
  • Seat assigned and checked-in at 24 hours
  • F still showing 2 seats for sale on night before flight (I checked)
  • Arrived at gate, boarding pass denied when scanned
  • GA said F oversold and I was to be downgraded
  • When I asked why me, she said "computer tells us who to downgrade"
  • She also said 2 had not yet checked in and if they didn't by 30 minutes before departure, I'd get a seat
  • They checked in so I had no F seat
  • UA app showed 19 people were upgraded on that flight
  • She gave me $250 voucher and a coach BP
  • Tried to get me to sign some voluntary downgrade form, which I did not do
  • Said to call GS line and they were authorized to give more compensation

I haven't called GS line yet to discuss, but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on why I was picked for downgrade. I find it hard to believe the 19 upgraded people on the flight were all GS on higher fare class, but I obviously have no proof. Also, does anyone have experience getting additional compensation in this situation?

Thanks in advance and sorry for post length.

Last edited by ajhun9; Mar 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm