FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there still a PMUA-style VDB list?
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:24 pm
FriendlySkies
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flavorflav
To clear the air: Prioritizing the VDB list by status is an urban legend. In my years of flying, I've never discovered any proof -- a profile, remarks from a UA employee, anything -- indicating that ordering the VDB list by status is anything more than wishful thinking.

My understanding is that the GA has always had discretion to VDB passengers based on operational needs as judged by the GA.

For example, a GA might want to take a GM with no checked bags and on the last leg of his trip ahead of a 1K with checked luggage and in the middle of his trip.

And even if giving higher elites first crack at VDB is some sort of current, in-force internal policy -- good luck proving that -- it most certainly is not a "published benefit." Why? Because it's something UA deems appropriate to handle internally. Despite the occasional belief here otherwise, UA is -entitled- to manage some things however the airline pleases. I, however, as a 1P, am not -entitled- to any consideration when it comes to VDBs.
Of course, the GA will always use their discretion, but the VDB list in FastAir DID sort by status. PWMRamper and I confirmed this over the summer:

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I was working this summer and chatting with a fellow FT'er. I had never known, for sure, if the VDB list is sorted based on status. So we experimented and, lo and behold, it did indeed place the 1K at the top of the list.

...That being said, Gate Agents are under zero obligation to follow the order of the list for VDB's. Many times a person farther down the list is easier to accommodate, and we'll take them first.

Also to confirm, status plays zero part in who is IDB'd.