FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:22 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Entering Fifth Night of Five at the Trump Waikiki

I agree, split your hotel stays up if not sure. For us, Oahu is activity day in and day out.. but we also have Big Island and Maui to look forward to on this trip. We booked an Ocean Front Suite 1,477 sq ft at Fairmont Orchid, and Kea Lani any view is nice as long as you get some ocean view.. Last year the Deluxe Ocean view was more than suffice for us at Kea Lani, we did not want to leave.

Having said the above, the value we received at the Trump is more than exceptional. We had an electrical problem where the fuses were blown out of the hallway and bathroom lights overnight. I forgot to mention it to the staff. Was going up the elevator and worried if it was going to be dark tonite. Entered the room, and voila, the lights worked. This service I never receive at any of the Fairmonts.. in fact its a bit of a chore and follow up just to get a light bulb changed.

Yesterday, we went Hanauma Bay, and the Trump Waikiki concierge provided us with not just one bag, but two beach bags full of towels, fruit, sunscreen, etc. If this was a Fairmont, dare I say they would charge me at least $85 for all of that. I haven't checked out yet, but I haven't been nickled and dimed here at Trump as I normally do at Fairmont. Which is breath of fresh air to say the least.

The only thing that Trump should do, and I'm not sure if this is actually the hotel, but the someone has got to get rid of the Cuisinart TFal cookwear. That stuff just peels off when cooking and is a carcinogen.

Other pluses, includes slippers, concierge assistance (3 times they printed out directions and three times it was there for me when leaving).. btw, Fairmont does not print out and have it ready a concierge, in fact I would be lucky not to call an answering machine at concierge.. the concierge is always accessible by phone, or main floor at Trump.

Valet always pulls up the vehicles whenever possible front and center when picking up or dropping off. Little details.^

The building is brand spanking new.. we didn't use the pool, but we only have 5 days on Oahu, so fairly active visiting Pearl Harbour, Disney Aulanil, Dole Pineapple factory, Hanauma Bay, and the Polynesian Cultural Centre. Central location, short stays, convenience to restaurants and action in the Waikiki area, 5 star service.. all things equal and the deal is there, we shall be back.

Now off to the two Fairmonts on Big Island and Maui.