FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New [delayed] destination: Arcata-Eureka, Humboldt County, California (ACV)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:09 pm
Upgraded!

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ThunderJon
I presume they wanted to avoid storing any jets there. I don't know the area at all, will most likely never go there, but the schedule seems to go against any reasonable human/commerce patterns I could imagine.

Anyone know if there is some sort of noise abatement that prevented AA from leaving ACV earlier?
Once again, think about it from the perspective of connecting traffic: Where are those originating at ACV likely to have as final destinations and where are those with ACV as their destination likely coming from? Then work backwards in terms of schedule.

While I agree there is a balance between offering the best schedules and not wanting to store planes there are still relatively good connecting options.

Each of AA's major ex-LAX domestic destinations have between one and four daytime flights leaving after 1pm and connectable from the late morning ACV-LAX (DFW has 8, ORD and JFK each have 3 most days, HNL has 2 and MIA, BOS and IAD each have 1) plus there's at least one domestic redeye to which one can connect on the later flight (1 each to JFK, ORD, BOS and IAD, 2 each to DFW and MIA).

For the turns to ACV, you can leave any East Coast or Midwest city up until about 2pm and be pretty safe making that afternoon flight up. The morning flight, though, is really only good for o/d and connections off of incoming HI overnights.

I'm guessing AA expects little in terms of int'l connections as the morning flight does not arrive at LAX in time to make the China or Japan flights while the evening flight does not give one enough time to make the LHR flight. However the QF/CX connections are quite doable from that evening flight.