FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New [delayed] destination: Arcata-Eureka, Humboldt County, California (ACV)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:04 pm
ND76

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by chanp
I've lived in cali all my life and had to look this place up. Anyone here visit? Hope it's profitable.
Arcata is where Humboldt State University is located; the bigger town nearby that you've heard of is Eureka, which is a few miles south of Eureka on the other side of a bay. The airport is north of both Arcata and Eureka on US 101 (I think it is in McKinleyville). Eureka is about 275 miles north of San Francisco via the Redwood Highway (101). If you follow the ponies and live in California, you've probably heard of the Humboldt County Fair, where they stage 8 days of live racing every August at Ferndale, a beautiful village with a large number of classic Victorian buildings about 15 miles from Eureka.

And yes, it is really, really beautiful in far northwestern California, and the coastline gets even better (if that is possible) after passing through Crescent City and crossing the state line into Oregon.