FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki
View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:57 pm
JeremyS1973

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by spizzy
We are traveling to Hawaii in September and was decieding where to stay. It came down to 2 places. The Trump Waikiki & Halekulani Hotel.

In the end after reading most of the reviews for both on Tripadvisor we chose the Trump Waikiki as we wanted the new furnished rooms, and just plain newer hotel, and the reviews on trip always commented that the rooms in the Halekulani are tired and in need of a major refurbishment. Also said refurbishement may or may not take place in September, and the extent of the refurbishment is unknown.

Though alot of people on TA commented that the Halekulani is a more Hawiian styled place than the Trump Waikiki. Now even though I havent yet stayed at either I think it is more the place you are visiting and the people (in this case Hawaii), etc that is what Hawaii is, and not the hotel. I mean when you stay in a hotel in NY you dont think, this doesnt have the New York feel to it. So for me this was a moot point for the Halekulani in comparison to the Trump.
No, it has everything to do with the hotel as to how Hawaiian it feels.

The Trump can't hold a candle to Halekulani on any level. The Trump has a bad pool and bad pool area, it isn't on the ocean, you have to look over the top of two or three other hotels for your view, the atmosphere is terribly sterile and un-Hawaiian, my WiFi never worked in my room at the Trump. It is apt you mention a "NY feel" because it has a feel just like NYC which is NOT what I want in Hawaii.

I would take Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, Hyatt Regency, Outrigger Reef and the Ali'i Tower at HHV before I'd ever go back the Trump. If I wanted a condo in Waikiki the Grand Waikikian would be my first pick.