FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:04 pm
wcalvert

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
From reading the rules I get the impression that one can only have a stopover on a round trip award ticket and not on any other type of award. Is that correct?

For example, suppose I do not have enough miles to book a round trip ticket so I book A to B one way. Rules state no stopover. I then acquire enough miles (more than 24 hours later) to book B to A one way. Rules state no stopover. However, I now "effectively" have a round trip award. But it still seems that one can not have a stopover when booking the B to A segment [without potentially paying fees for cancellation and reissue]. Is this a correct reading of the rules?
Yep. You have to book a legit RT award to get the stopover. In order to convert it to a real RT I'm pretty sure you would have to pay the redeposit fee on the original award. Additional note: if you go that route, some people are saying that the redeposit is not instant and can take a week or two.