FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerMC

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
Thanks

Agreed. I wish I would have had trip insurance. Hopefully, this will not be necessary.

Assume that American Airlines only offers a refund because they say there is no way to now do the itinerary in under 17 segments or under 35,000 miles, do I have any recourse or do I have to accept the refund? Is there a listing of terms and conditions once a flight is ticketed that someone can point me to?

If American Airlines offers to allow me to go above the 35,000 miles and have a second open jaw (and 17th segment) with JNB-HRT/LGW-RAK (BA) does anybody have any idea how much in extra surcharges that would amount to? Is there any precedent supporting my being firm about not paying surcharges or am I negotiating (but without solid backing)?

Also, brainstorming do I have any other options to still keep the itinerary at 16 segments or under 35,000 miles:

The beginning part is MIA-DFW-NRT-PEK-HKG-MNL-HKG-JNB-CPT (the part after Marrakesh is RAK-MAD-TLV-MAD-MIA). I could always purchase a local flight from Livingstone to somewhere (even on another airline) and use my open jaw to get from that place to somewhere else to RAK on Oneworld and still be at 16 segments (and hopefully under 35,000 total miles).

Presently, the customer service agent says I am waiting for the AA Liaison Desk. I know these are a lot of questions, but I am trying to be prepared as possible to offer alternatives should this be necessary.

Thank you everybody for your help.