FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:57 pm
BrewerSEA

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by FlyerMC
So, I had booked my 1st Class 280,000 mile $453 surcharges (34,790 countable miles 16 segments exactly) around-the-world itinerary.

MIA-DFW-NRT-PEK-HKG-MNL-HKG-JNB-CPT/LVI-JNB-MAD-RAK-MAD-TLV-MAD-MIA

I just called American Airlines and Iberia announced it has cancelled my May 31st JNB-MAD flight. The reservation agent said that the matter has been referred to the American Airlines Liaison Desk (never heard of them) and for me to call back tomorrow.

If I had already booked and paid for the ticket can American Airlines Liaison route me through London (on British Airways) without me having to pay extra miles (over 35,000 countable) or surcharges? Does anybody have experience with flights being cancelled in the middle of an around-the-world and how this is handled?

Thanks.
I have had this happen on a paid around the world ticket, but not an award, so can't give you specific advice. I was allowed to have a 17 segment ticket (which was really two tickets for a while due to technical requirements). They may just cancel your award and refund the miles, but I would push for the routing through LHR. I did not have to pay any additional surcharges.

If the flight is available a day or two before or after they may be talking to the liaison to open up award space on that, which is pretty reasonable IMO. Moving my flight date around wasn't possible as the route was cut.