FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:06 pm
HoKo

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by guv1976

That is correct.
Thank you.

So do you guys think this routing is legal:

IAD-DFW-HNL-NRT-ICN-HKG-MNL-HKG-YVR-JFK-LHR-IST-ATH-LHR-MIA-GIG-MIA-DCA

It's basically 3 trips built into one:

Trip one: IAD-DFW-HNL-NRT-ICN-HKG-MNL-HKG-YVR-JFK - Trip ends here and I will pay cash for a flight to DC (or maybe use Avios since it is such a short segment)

Trip two: I would need to pay cash for a flight back up to NYC and then JFK-LHR-IST-ATH-LHR-MIA - I would then have to book a cash flight back to DC from Miami. Also, I am using my one allowable open jaw between IST-ATH b/c there are no direct flights b/w those two cities on OW carriers

Trip three: I would need to get back down to Miami on a cash fare and then MIA-GIG-MIA-DCA

The main question I have is would this be considered a 16 segment trip? I know it is 17 segments (since the OJ counts as a segment) but one of the rules I noticed from AustinRunner's post is:

Originally Posted by Austinrunner

SECTION 2: SEGMENT MAXIMUM

An itinerary may not exceed 16 segments.

Each flight number produces one segment, regardless of the number of intermediate stops. Therefore, the number of segments in an itinerary is not necessarily equal to the number of stops in the itinerary.

My HKG-YVR-JFK on CX is all operated by Flight #CX888. So does this mean that this would only be considered one segment even though I will be stopping in Vancouver for a week before continuing on to JFK?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IAD-DFW...-MIA-DCA&MS=bm