FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:12 pm
UrbaneGent

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by HonestABE
l
My personal case is instructive. The recalibration of lifetime miles put me over the million mile mark. I have been an "elite" for 18 consecutive years, and 1K or 1P every year for the last 13 years. With 1P for life (along with my wife who is "stuck" with me for life), where am I going to go? Am I going to start over with DL or US or AA? Why? I, at least for present, get three "free" bags, exit row seating, a 50% bonus on paid BIS miles, and UC access on international flights. Ditto my wife. Each of those things has (varying) tangible value to both of us, especially the exit row seats.

Again, I make no representation that I agree with the changes that have been made.
This is why the new CO has benefited you - with the recalibration, you have become a MMiler and now you are set. If I were in your shoes I would be happy as well.

I have to believe we all understand the concept of survival. This particular thread only has to do with Million Miler benefits PRE-MERGER. If I am wrong or if anyone thinks otherwise, I am on the wrong thread.

The former United for decades stated "LIFETIME" benefits for those who actually flew 1,000,000 miles on United metal. When other airlines came out with their own "watered down" versions of million miler status, United made it even more enticing and added some more benefits. So gents like myself stuck it out on the airline, whilst my colleagues got to AA MM in half or a quarter of the time it took me to get MM on UA, but my benefits were much more superior....hold on, backtrack, what's the word I used...."were"

The NEW United took all the CO MMilers and brought them UP one tier...they were UPGRADED.

The NEW United recalibrated MP members such as yourself and many new MMilers (and their spouses) were created...they were UPGRADED.

The NEW United took Pre-Merger MMilers, who had spent time and money sitting on UA metal and took away every single promised LIFETIME benefit, added the spouse benefit and called it "new and improved"....they were DOWNGRADED.

This is the issue. I hate repeating this and I know some are sick of reading it, but threads are long and new people must see and understand. Many of us became MMilers expecting LIFETIME benefits. Some, such as myself where running to the 2MMiler mark, only to have it watered down. It's awful. Make 1MM Platinum, give the 2MM RCC lifetime membership...I dunno. But to put a PMUA MM in the same position as someone who hasn't flown a million miles? Awful.

UG