FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles Change Rumor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:59 pm
stylo4444

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Hmmm...I don't know if people are upset because of a lack of upgrades or it being harder to get upgrades. I think it's about the overall program, I know some people that have been a part of the SM program for many many years...and over time it seems as if things are getting harder overall. Maybe that's expected, I honestly do not know...I've been a part of SM since 2006 and over the last two years finally starting doing enough travel to hit FO and then GM within a few months. I do fine on my UG out of MCO, and if I can't get an UG...well i can't get an UG. Obviously there's a reason for it and its safe to assume it's because there are others ahead of me.

I think what people are upset about is the overall direction the program is heading in. UG is really only one part of the equation here. The way I look at it, it's not getting any cheaper to fly. The highest revenue customers ($100k a year and above let's say), how much of the SM customer base is this? 1%? 5%? 10%? A majority of us are not a part of that yet a good number have been loyal members for many years. So if the program is choosing to really reward those 5% or 10% of customers, and the rest are stuck at a level which does not reward their loyalty because hey guess what...you can't afford to spend as much as our top tier customers...what type of a signal does that really send?

Not only that, but it's always been incredibly difficult to book award travel with DL...and if the suggestion/rumor is that it will be even harder to let's say earn miles or the value of miles is going to decrease...is that really adding value to the program?

When you're in that top tier group that can spend a ton, and is not a majority of customers...it's easy to sit back and say oh well that's fine, DL can do whatever. But how about the rest? I think the rest have every right to express their displeasure...we care about the program and are concerned about the direction it is rumored to be heading in.