FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - At <24h, int'l UPGs now only can be WL'd by airport staff
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:08 pm
UrbaneGent

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
1k here traveling tomorrow US-Asia in D class. WL'd 5 weeks ago using a GPU to UPG D>F. Website has been showing the WL over the past few weeks.

At 23 hours out, only 1 seat available in first (F inventory)
During online check-in, was offered TOD for $599 to confirm into F. (huh? I thought TODs not offered if elites are on WL?!). Declined offer.
After online checkin, noticed that I'm not on any WL.
Called 1k and ended up with surpervisor who "called the airport" to get me on the list
After checking with airport, 1k supervisor advised that the "new process" is that not only do int'l res WL (ie, those created > 24 hours from flight) NOT automatically transfer to the airport nowadays, but that the ONLY way to get on the airport UPG list is at the airport at departure. Online check-in does NOT put one on the WL for int'l flights.
She noted that this "new process" (ie, the only way to get on the <24h list is to do it at the airport) applies only to int'l flights and not to dom ones.

Quite frustrating that not only are GPUs now being processed behind TODs, but also that we now have to wait in line at the airport to get on an UPG waitlist! Crazy!

Disgusted - really. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of us. If I saw that "upgrade to First for...." I would bet I wouldn't clear since someone would cough up with the $$ for the upgrade esp if one seat left. How frustrating it must have been for you waiting the past three weeks to clear.