FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Safety in Mexico - Interesting Perspective(s)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:54 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot
I don't dispute that there are some dangerous places in Mexico, but I felt very safe in Cancun every time I went, including last month. This is despite the killing of the Chief of Tourism Police in Playa del Carmen last year, which is some 20 miles south of Cancun. But I also have lived in cities large and small across the USA, and currently often hear gunfire at night. Every day our small town newspaper has stories about bank robberies, knifings, domestic robbery, auto theft, muggings, thugs robbing pedestrians at all times of day, and more. I did not experience any of that in Mexico. But I've been robbed in rural New York, witnessed multiple arson and theft events in the UK, been robbed in California, found myself in the middle of SWAT team action in rural Illinois, and must regularly submit to degrading searches and inspections by the TSA at USA airports. My Mexican excursions, in contrast, leave me relaxed and rejuvenated. I highly recommend it.
We felt quite safe travelling in the summer as well.. a very good experience. But we probably won't return in the forseeable future. Lots of other places to discover and travel. Safety outlook is a factor.