FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VENMO
Thread: VENMO
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:34 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DrSifu
seems like people are getting different emails, and I suppose that is based on historical usage.

below is mine. note that there is no "no-fee" credit card transaction. Everything gets hit with a 3% charge. Looks like a few lucked out and still have a no-fee limit of <$2000.

"At Venmo, we believe payments should be fun, fast, and easy. We also believe that payments between friends should always be free.

Today, we are taking a big step towards this vision. We are launching free and instant bank payments, which means you can fund payments from your bank account instead of a credit card. We've worked very hard to ensure that these payments are just as easy, fast, and secure as credit card payments.

So, what's changing?

Until May 1st,

You can continue using Venmo the way you do now.
You can opt to switch to bank payments at any time by following a few simple steps. Click here to switch now.
Starting May 1st for you (and starting today for new users),

To continue using Venmo for free, you must switch to bank payments.
If you still want to use your credit card, you can set it as your funding source, but you will be charged 3% to cover credit card processing fees.
When you're signing up your friends, you should know that they can send their first $500 from their credit card for free."
I spoke to them about this via email and even asked they grandfather the true pioneer customers (the very few of us who were with them from their first couple months of business). My response came from a support tech, not a manager, so it's not the final word, but here is the summary:

1) no mention of grandfathering in 'pioneer' accounts
2) we can charge up to our limit for free through May 1st
3) after May 1st, only those accounts *without* a history of charging more than $500 per month will be able to continue charging up to (but not more than) $500 per month fee free

So, if you plan on leaving Venmo, you can shove through money up to your limit through May 1st, then close your account and leave.

Has anyone found another alternative to Venmo?