FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin refused to check bags through to final destination
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:26 am
Jinxy

Programs: Too many
I'll actually be trying it this weekend in the States, but I'm not overly fussed if I have to recheck them on the way back from LAS-LAX-MEL (LAS-LAX is Delta and then Virgin back to MEL)...I'm allowing myself extra time if they won't check them back all the way through and I have status (which can or cannot assist in these type of situations if something does go wrong)

There are still lots of errors with the codeshare agreements and while it is very frustrating, these things can and do happen no matter if the PNR's are linked or not.

There is no point in using the "we spend a lot of money" phrase. We here on the forum are here to help and hear your rant, but in the scheme of things...one or two international economy trips a year is very small in any airline's eyes.

Did you fly Virgin from Canberra to Sydney and then Sydney with Delta?
In previous situations when I have flown from Sydney to any international destinations..you often have to collect bags and recheck, go through immigration etc
And with the transfer bus...if it wasn't booked on one complete ticket, Delta or Virgin are under no obligation to assist with the transfer from the domestic to the international terminal. It doesn't matter if 3 or 4 PNR's are linked, it's not one complete ticket, so you don't get that assistance.

As read on Virgin's website today
Domestic Check-in Connecting through Sydney

When you check in at an Australian domestic port, your bags will be checked through to your final destination. You will receive a transfer wallet, which contains a map of the transfer port and a bus pass to use in Sydney. Upon arriving in Sydney, make your way to the transfer lounge at Gate 37. You will then be shown downstairs to the transfer bus – which will take you to the International Terminal. Upon arriving at the International Terminal please proceed to the check in counters for Delta Air Lines to receive a boarding pass for your international flights.

NOTE: This is only for 1 complete PNR, not linked nor separate tickets purchased