FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:16 am
Counsellor

Originally Posted by socrates
[L]et me explain what happens - the hotel pulls the correct number of points based upon their category on they date you check-in, Marriott Rewards will add the difference in point value to your acccount so the actual number of points you spent are based upon the hotels category on date of reservation
socrates, I realize you may just be summarizing the end result, but do the properties actually "pull" the points? If so, what do they do with them?

A couple years back I was talking with someone who should know at one of the Marriott full service hotels and he said that Marriott itself is the one that deducts the points from an individual's account, the property itself does not "collect" or see the points. Rather, after the property reports you consumed the stay, Marriott pays (or maybe credits) the property a monetary amount for the night consumed.

If that's the case, it makes sense that Marriott would be able to provide the "fix" since it's essentially just a bookkeeping entry done at their level.