FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No Changes Allowed
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:00 pm
Trustee

No Changes Allowed

Although I have read this forum for years, this is the first time that I have posted.

I have been a frequent flyer with United ever since my frequent flyer miles were transferred from PanAm. Until now, except for the odd minor hiccup, I have been very happy flying with United.

When I buy a United ticket, it is always international (return journey UK to USA)with a mileage upgrade to business class. Typically, I fly with United 2 or 3 times a year. I always make my reservations by telephone.

Quite often, I have to change my flights and, when I purchase a ticket, I always make it clear to the reservations agent that the ticket needs to be changeable. Typically, the tickets are non-refundable but it has always been the case that, if I cancel a reservation, I can carry a credit against future ticketing for a period of one year.

I recently wanted to change a reservation I made in November 2011 but I am informed by United that the international portions of my flight cannot be changed (FULL STOP) and I cannot cancel so as to get a credit against another flight.

The e-ticket receipt carries the following endorsement:

NONREF-FL-CHG RESTRICTED
CHECK FARE NOTE
NONREF-0VALUAFTDPT-CHGFEE

However, one United reservations agent I have spoken to tells me that the endorsement is practically meaningless and it is Fare Basis that matters (in this case: WKXNCGBW).

As a reasonable man who is not trained as a ticketing reservations agent, how on earth I am supposed interpret a Fare Basis code (especially when even the agents seem to have difficulty).

I feel that I have been mis-sold the ticket. However, the United agents tell me it is a case of caveat emptor (buyer beware) and that I should have made sure that I asked the agent when I purchased the ticket (and I am sure that I did).

Is there any way I can get this matter addressed by United?

What regulatory body can I complain to?

Is it worth going to the UK County Court to get redress (which I am very inclined to do as a matter of principle)?

All comments are welcomed!