FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lloyds Avios credit cards
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:47 am
PanGalactic
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
OK, I just called Lloyds to cancel my LTSBPDA, here is what happened.....

She started taking details including asking me why I wanted to cancel the card, to which I answered as follows:

1. Because the companion voucher only kicks in at £15,000 on the LTSBPDA whereas the BAPP gives one at £10,000
2. Because the LTSBPDA companion voucher can only be used in short haul Y whereas the BAPP companion voucher can be used on any redemption flight.
3. Because I only get 1.25 Avios per £ on the LTSBPDA whereas the BAPP gives me 1.5 and double on BA spend (which surprisingly has gone up quite a bit since I joined FT )

I then stopped the questions and said that normally when i call to cancel a card I am usually offered some sort of incentive in order to keep the card but it sounds like she was going to do that.

She said, NO sir, the procedure here is just to close the card if the customer asks to but i can put you through to retention to see if they can offer you anything if you like.

Got passed through to retention and was asked the same questions again.

I asked if they were prepared to offer me any incentive to keep the card to which the answer was NO.

"Suddenly" I remembered the Avios.com 2,000 bonuses for collecting with a new partner (Has anyone got one from the LTSBPDA yet by the way?) and said that since the card fee would not be until November, I may aswell keep the card until then and spend £80 per quarter on the Amex in order to get the 2,000 bonuses, thanked her for her time and said goodbye.

A bit disappointing but assuming I get the bonuses, I am due 2,000 already and £240 spend between now and november for another 6,000 is not to be sniffed at, I just have to remember to actually spend the £80's each quarter and cancel before Mid November

Last edited by PanGalactic; Mar 15, 2012 at 6:12 am