FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA/CO cancelled flight CDG - IAD -- suggestions for EU 261 claim?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:18 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rbarnett007
Hi All,

UPDATE -----

Bottom line up front - I submitted a claim through United.com/feedback, and 2weeks later received a letter in the mail from United Airlines containing an apology and three electronic certificate vouchers for $250 each (towards a future flight, of course).

They did not, however, address the EU 261 claim at all, nor did they include reimbursement for my out-of-pocket expenses of staying an extra night in France with my family (hotel, meals, transportation, etc). The letter claimed that "while preparing for departure, a mechanical issue beyond our control impacted the operations of the aircraft originally scheduled for your flight. Consequently, the aircraft was taken out of service, causing your flight to be cancelled".

While I appreciate the apology and the vouchers, this is merely a first step.

I have submitted another claim through United.com/feedback for reimbursement of my hotel, meals, transportation, parking, and cell phone charges totaling $339.72. SO - stay tuned, and fingers crossed!

BTW (and FYI) - Their website has a bug on the form. When I attached my receipts and such, the form would reset. The only way for me to get the confirmation page was to skip attaching my receipts (i.e. no evidence). Instead, I copy-pasted them into the text box with a note to email me for the actual PDF files.

--Bob
$250 is a tiny fraction of what you're owed under EU law - they are obviously trying to avoid paying the claim and hopeful you'll forget about this small detail. You should (if you want the proper compensation you're entitled) continue pressing the EU legal claim, and if necessary, prepare to take them to Small Claims Court (which is very cheap and easy to do, and will likely result in your claim being paid before the court date).