FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please critique/ criticize my Bolivia and Peru plans
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:50 pm
Villavic
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
. Unless you live in the Himalayas, you need to give your body a good couple of days - at least - to acclimate. Failure to do so could lead to serious health problems.
Definitely you have to stay calm arriving at Cusco, Puno, La Paz or any high place. But how long you need to rest, it depends on your physical. Some need 2 days. But there are some people they got headache the whole time. Or high blood pressure. Some women suffer period disorders.

Those are the scary news. The good news is that that's a very short percentage of people. That's based on my dozen of times I've visitid high cities in Peru, and watched lot travelers from the whole world and any age. Most of them are ready just resting the first day.

I'm one of those lucky guys that have almost no altitude sickness at all, just a little headache the first hours, and sometimes, not always (specially arriving by plane, where the atmosphere pressure change is radical), and I'm a coast guy (45yo), never lived in the mountains.

Most of visitors need to rest just the first afternoon/day, and the second they are ready to walk, visit places, etc. Of course try not to run or force your body. A good soft diet during your trip is good also; avoid heavy dishes, and of course drink the coca tea, a healthy tasty infusion! It helps to oxygen your blood.

Another tip is not to smoke during your trip and the previous days. Keep your lungs clean! If you are not a smoker, better! If you're still worried, see a doctor for a check, just to precaution. I usually take my father to a healthcheck before traveling to Cusco.

And yes Arequipa is a very nice place, and not so high.

Last edited by Villavic; Mar 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm