FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: Fare class to book for Honeymoon
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:58 pm
billyhaley

Fare class to book for Honeymoon

Hello all,

First time poster so apologies that everything is not as abreviated as it could be

I am elite because of work travel and have 35 upgrade credits atm which are all in play.

This is the trip;
YVR -> YHZ
YHZ -> HNL
HNL -> YVR

The first leg is from home to Nova Scotia where the family and ceremony is. This leg I can still upgrade instantly at 10 credits each.

Second leg is to the actual Honeymoon with a stop over in YYZ and YVR.
This is why I am writting; there is no room for instant upgrades here, only wait list. I cannot afford to book lowest exec but I could book Latitude. If I'm not mistaken that will give me a higher shot at an upgrade and also only use 4 total credits letting me go first class to YHZ as well.

BUT ~ Is this worth the extra $600 ??? If I pay Latitude and dont get the upgrade i'll feel like a tool and endure "that-money-could-have-been-used-on-massages-in-hawaii" glares all the way across the pacific.

I could just book tango+ for both legs and not upgrade the first (less important) leg so that I have enough credits to try the upgrade to HNL. But then I may miss the upgrade and then I'll feel dumb for not riding in the front to YHZ.

The third leg is not important at all really, I just put it there to avoid questions about us living in HNL or something.

Now I understand that if I really wanted first class I would have to pay for it and I have no entitlement and will not blame anyone for any advice -- if i ride in the back on every trip I'll still have a freaking amazing time -- I'm just looking for opinions;

What would you do in my shoes?

Option 1
YVR -> YHZ = T+ / 20 credit upgrade
YHZ -> HNL = L / waitlist

Option 2
YVR -> YHZ = T+ in the back
YHZ -> HNL = T+ waitlist (save $600)

Option 3
YVR -> YHZ = T+ / 20 credit upgrade
YHZ -> HNL = T+ in the back

Thanks to anyone who can help me hash it out. Sorry if this was needlessly wordy.