FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motorcycle RTW Trip - How to manage my money?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:05 pm
ANC RED-EYE
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
I tried to get a color copy of my passport at my local UPS store, and they said they couldn't do it - it was illegal to make a color copy.

FWIW

DD
Interesting. I googled it, and came up with a lot of discussion boards without any consensus. One made mention that it was illegal for the copying center to make color copies of legal identifications, but legal for individuals to do so. No one was able to produce any reference to the illegality, though it may not be legal. The travel.state.gov website mentions in several places that one should carry photocopies of their passport when they travel, but it does not specify that they can or cannot be color. One would think that if it were illegal to make a color copy, it would specify that explicitly. The only reason I mentioned color above is that it makes the picture easier to identify and the number easier to read for times you are using it to check into a hotel or to make a credit card purchase, etc.