FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same flight, R availability depends upon on-going connection
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:20 pm
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi FlyingProf, was this showing R0 when you were looking at it in the shopping path, or when viewing your already booked reservation? When looking for R availability, viewing connecting flights in the shopping path is not as reliable as viewing each flight separately. If R shows 0 when booking a connecting flight, but, is available when viewing separately, then, as SEA1K4EVR, has mentioned you will be able to upgrade it after it’s ticketed (e.g. After ticketing, view reservation and then select the 'upgrade reservation' link found toward the top of the itinerary). Also, one good tip to note is that, when upgrading after ticketing, the process will also waitlist you for any segments that may not be available.

Shannon
This matches my experience. I booked LAX-IAD-LHR and IAD-LHR was showing R0 during the shopping experience, but a search specifically for IAD-LHR alone showed R9. After the trip ticketed (4 hours) I was able to apply an upgrade and it confirmed immediately