FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same flight, R availability depends upon on-going connection
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:22 pm
SEA1K4EVR

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by BH62
For an itinerary KIX-SFO-SEA on 5/5, the 1st leg is on UA 886, then, among the many connections offered to SEA, there are two direct flights. The 1st has approx 2 hr connect time at SFO, the other with approx 5 hrs. Looking at upgrade (R) availability on *Flt 886*, the Grease Monkey script shows R0 for the earlier connection & R4 for the later connecting flight. BUT the 1st leg is on 886 in both instances! Is there a rational explanation for the R0/R4 juggle? Oops, maybe not a bug, but a feature?
How timely... I encountered this issue today.

I just booked a ticket for SEA-IAH-MSY-IAH-SEA. When booking the reservation I noticed that the 2:25pm IAH-SEA flight was R0 or R4 depending on which MSY-IAH flight I chose. I booked the itinerary where IAH-SEA was showing R0 due to price.

However, after I ticketed the reservation and went to upgrade it with an RPU... the correct R4 was showing for IAH-SEA and I was able to confirm the upgrade. I think what you're seeing is a glitch and if you booked it you'd be able to upgrade 886 after it's ticketed.