FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nanny taxes standards?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:07 pm
magiciansampras
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Then let me make it clearer that I am expressing my disagreement with this way of thinking, to maintain continuity of the thread, and not with you.
Good, clarity is golden.

I have a J.D. but I don't prepare my tax returns myself. I hire a CPA firm. So your point is?
My point is that this process is needlessly complex and opaque.

You could say that about many things, no?
Obviously. So what?

I don't have to see any of the paper work to be pretty certain that is not what happened. What did happen is most likely the following: parents hired a nanny and then started the "opaque process." That's like getting on one of the new "pay in advance" buses and then looking to pay the fare.

They got the fine for allowing someone to work without insurance. Read this again. They got the penalty waived because the period that person worked without workers comp was short, there were no claims, and they came into compliance.
That may very well be what happened. Or perhaps someone told them they didn't need the insurance. Or maybe someone told them that they would take care of the insurance. Or maybe no one told them that they needed the insurance. Or maybe the nanny wasn't working full time at first and then transitioned into a full-time role. My point is that "trying to comply" can encompass many different scenarios.

Not my point. I mentioned that because I try and avoid getting sued. Call it risk management if you want. Most people don't ask for insurance certificates because they either don't know or don't care.
I agree.