FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Select Seating
Thread: Select Seating
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:12 am
knope2001

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
It's a negative to me because before today as Ascent I could reserve those Select seats for my entire party at booking (whether they were Summit, Ascent, or nothing) but now I have to pay $5 per seat extra for that area or sit behind row 13. Oh well, at least I still get 2 free bags! I guess I can ask at check-in maybe to move up?
I think you should still be able to book your entire party in the Select section as long as you're still on the same confirmation code. I do that all the time with my SO who is not Summit.

What I don't like is that if there is a separate confirmation code, then the seating benefit does not transfer to your travel companion. If we're both traveling on a paid fare, or if we're both traveling on a free ticket (using miles from one account or the other) we can book on the same itin/confirmation code. But if I pay for my ticket and use my miles for a companion ticket, or if we each book our own free ticket using our own miles, we have to be booked on separate itins and thus my F benefits don't transfer. What I've done to get around this is book one way travel. If we're both using miles, for example, I'll book two one-way tickets using my miles (on a single intinerary) and then book two return tickets (on a single itinerary) using my SO's miles. Then I call into the elite FF line and ask to be re-seated on that return trip. Even though it wasn't my miles used for that return trip, as a Summit I can be pre-reserved in Stretch and so can my travel companion.

Unless I'm missing something, you should still be able to pre-reserve your whole party in the Select section when you book as long as you're on the same booking.