FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A tricky miles puzzle - need help solving!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:31 pm
womanofaction

A tricky miles puzzle - need help solving!

Hi all,

I'm a relative newcomer to the miles and points world. I'm working towards a trip goal and I've run into a roadblock. I'd love some advice/help figuring this out.

Here's the deal:

My husband and I, plus our two elementary-aged kids, want to travel to Hawaii in April of 2013. For various reasons, we want to fly first class. We'll be flying from the SF Bay Area to Kauai, then inter-island to Maui, then back to the SF Bay Area.

Between my husband and me, we've got 160,000 Chase UR Points. We're planning on converting the points to United Miles, then using them for 4 one-way first class tix on United - either SFO-LIH or OGG-SFO. We don't care which direction we use them.

Here's where it gets tricky for me.

We're happy to fly any airline for the other flight. Again, we don't care which direction we fly (to or from Hawaii). Just need availability.

We've each got around 30,000 Avios (thanks, Nordstrom!), plus my husband has 100,000 AAdvantage Points (2-browser trick!) and 40,000 AmEx MR points. I'll have 75,000 AmEx MR points by May/June (Feb 29 offer).

I'm poised and ready to apply for another CC right now...although I probably shouldn't do another full churn until May.

I need to figure out how to get enough miles on an airline for 4 one-way tix. So far the only possible scenario I can come up with is:

1) Convert some AmEx MR points to Avios (looks like a first class flight on a partner airline - American?? - is 37,500 Avios...is this correct??)

2) Purchase 2 tix with Avios

3) Use 75,000 American miles for another ticket (could it be on the same flight as the seats I got with the Avios???)

4) ??? Need one more seat.

I know there has to be another way to do this. I just don't know what it is.

Do I apply for another CC and get a bonus? Which one? Do we need to split up and fly 2 people on 2 separate flights?

My other concern is that this process will take too long and then there won't be any availability on a flight. Sigh...beating head against wall....help!!