FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Passed: Create Frequent Travel Tools & Services Forum
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:24 am
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'll repeat what I said in the earlier discussion - to which there was no answer:
In general, I like, but why not let those providers openly sell their wares? No ax, just curious.
And what did you mean by this:
Quote:
nor artificial limits imposed by FlyerTalk
I attempted to address those questions in the post immediately after your post in that thread.

prohibits direct sales on FT for frequent travel related tools and services as spam

The notion here is that this forum be used to discuss the tools and services, not be used to sell subscriptions. So a provider could say 'come check out my tool and see if you like it' she could not say 'buy my tool, it's freaking awesome.' As I say in the post above, it's meant to be a trade show where we can talk about the products sometimes in the presence of the provider, sometimes not. It is NOT meant to be a showroom floor. It may be necessary to reflect on this point, though. For example, discussions of pricing may naturally evolve. Having the provider participate in that conversation might skirt this line. Overall, the idea is to avoid hard-selling and/or straight up spamming.

lets the members decide what they want to talk about in terms of those tools without undue influence by the tool and service providers nor artificial limits imposed by FlyerTalk

The idea here is that FlyerTalk not impose a structure on the forum by creating subforums for individual products, or require that all discussion necessarily take place in a single or master thread about a product. And that FT not limit what products are ok to talk about and which are not. And that service providers not be allowed to arbitrarily restrict comments or discussion one way or another. If you think it is meant to mean that no moderation takes place in the proposed forum, you are absolutely mistaken, as the last point ought to make clear (as though it would need to be made clear....), and especially spam bots, which might be somehow construed to be allowed in this forum, need to be squashed.