FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concern about increased airport security in Australia
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:44 am
grannieflyer

Any updates on whether scanners in regular use SYD?

I totally concur with all posters in this thread. I also believe that anything sensible that can be done to catch/counteract potential terrorism is to be applauded. But...I do object to an invasion of my personal privacy, and potential health issues for no gain.

I am due to fly out from SYD in a couple of weeks to uk - done so many times, but not with these dreaded scanners in place. Am a female of some years (!) who has a back full of titanium (never beeped before), has had the 'pleasure' of being swabbed down at least 5 times at SYD (what the ***, are grannie fliers normally targeted - seems they are - but no objection, swabbers always polite).

But I do object to the body scan. For starters am a breast cancer survivor and had a mastectomy - ie have a false boobie. Not ashamed, hubbie loves me heaps. BUT, the blurb about the Aussie scanners state proudly - they only detect: liquids, GELS, etc, etc. My prosthesis is made of gel.

I am happy to explain, to a sensitive, understanding screening person. But do not want to do this in full hearing of a queue of pax. Am I being ultra sensitive, think not. Thoughts appreciated.
ps, realise that the scanners may not be running mid March, but they will be doing so in future, so still a problem.