FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Notice of Delayed departure of 3 hrs, but.....
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:15 pm
N9MD

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Update

Well, CO#1225 ... originally scheduled for a 1:45pm departure actually left FLL after 5pm. Surprisingly, the PC was not overwhelmed with folks waiting for the late departure. Wife and I settled in at the PC with our Kindles ... and had a few Screwdrivers with Baileys chasers.

The actual boarding process was harrowing and rushed ... because the entire crew (cockpit and cabin) were almost timed out ... having been on the original flights from PIT to ORD to FLL. Nevertheless, the cabin crew were all friendly and efficient.

Of the 12 FC seats, only 4 were occupied when the doors closed ... even though the PDA seat map showed a full front cabin. I suspect that some of the Platinums had been lucky enough to get on earlier flights, thus freeing up the FC seats. During the boarding process, we had buttered up one of the FAs on the way to our seats. He called out our seat numbers (along with 6 others from a PDA Upgrade Waiting List of 20 or so travelers of which we were #19 & #20) as the last overheads were being closed ... so my wife and I found ourselves sitting together in FC ... calling for another round of drinks with our dinner.

This was originally a non-meal mid-afternoon flight ... but while boarding, we watched them provisioning the cupboards. The only main course selection was a chicken with pasta ... so we got to keep our "emergency" pastrami-on-rye sandwiches (which we always carry with us) for the next day's lunch.