FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia - Carryon Luggage Size Limit
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:27 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning a trip with my family to Asia for later this year. I'm flying to BKK using Star Alliance carriers, and as a Star Gold, I think we could pack up half our house and check it for free.

But then we might want to fly a bit WITHIN Asia, and I see the luggage hassles could begin. On first glance, it seems like Air Asia's carry-on limits are more generous than Spirit in the USA or Easyjet in Europe. It's almost like a regular carry-on and a "personal item" -- which is basically what I want to travel with. Here's what their website says:

You are allowed one piece of baggage onboard. Such baggage should not exceed dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and it should not weigh more than 7kg. Such baggage should also fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment in the cabin. The approved cabin baggage must be tagged with a cabin bag tag.

In addition to 1 item of baggage specified above, you can also bring a hand carry of:

1 laptop in a laptop carrier with its accessories

OR

1 handbag(male/female)

OR

1 musical instrument - a small musical instrument such as a violin/guitar/saxophone/trumpet etc. provided it does not exceed the approved weight and size (i.e. does exceed the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and must not weigh more than 7kg).

__________________________________________________ ________

Two immediate problems come to mind. First is weight. I don't weigh my carry-on very often, but it certain seems conceivable that it could be a little more than 7kg (especially packed for an around-the-world trip). Second, what exactly is a "handbag"? Would a medium sized backpack (a daypack) qualify? Most men where I live don't carry pocketbooks, so I'd look a little weird to my family with one.

I'm basically trying to figure out whether I should book an Air Asia flight or two, or whether the lugggage hassle will be too annoying. It seems like enforcement is often lax -- until it isn't. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like the checked baggage fee is that high. Am I right about that, and how route specific is it?

Thanks for the advice.