FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex not honoring promised referral bonuses, suggestions?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 am
poemadept

Amex not honoring promised referral bonuses, suggestions?

Hi all,

last fall I received an email offer from Amex to refer my Delta gold card and receive 10k miles for each referral, plus a 10k bonus if I referred at least 3 people (so long as they were approved). I met all of the requirements for the offer and my 3 referrals were approved. The bonus points were to arrive within 6-8 weeks.

During that period I canceled my Delta gold card. I called Amex in advance to confirm that this would not affect my bonus points for the referrals, and was assured that I would still receive them. Stupidly I did not write down the name of the representative who told me this.

Now the 8 weeks is long past and after a few phone calls Amex is telling me they won't issue the points to an account that is closed. Obviously this is unacceptable to me; I fulfilled my end of the bargain, and now they're failing to do the same. Honestly I can't understand their approach, as they are going to anger not one but four customers by doing this. My friends are ready to cancel their cards immediately if I ask them to.

I spoke to a supervisor, and then asked to speak to the next level up and was told I would be called back in the next 48 hours. Does anyone have experience with this? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Thanks!