FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Months of Miles
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:58 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Dang... Our tour bus will just be dropping us at an airport hotel for the 23rd & 24th before our flight. Our flight is 10:20pm direct from BOS-FRA.
Then do consider that you can take a commuter train out to a town that is nearby. If you took the train TO either the towns of Concord or Lincoln, that would work... or to the town of Woburn, which is on my way down the highway (rte 95/128s) to Concord and the courthouse. I am not sure if I will be staying at me mum's house (in Concord) or leaving from mine in the AM to drive down there. I live north of Concord and so if I do drive down, Woburn is on my way. But either way, if you take the train to Lincoln or Concord, then this would be best option for me and you, and here are many things for you to look at:

Firstly, getting from the airport to the trains can be tricky (in the mind) but it's doable and doesn't take that long...

Assuming you are at one of the hotels at Logan, you would take a shuttle bus from the hotel/airport to the Blue line "T" station at the airport.

$2 gets you a ride in the subway known as the T. You could use a kiosk in the T station to load up a Charlie Card with say $2 on a CC or other form of payment with ease. Just follow the kiosk screens to get the card for even just one ride. It should let you load any $ amount. You would be riding INBOUND, or into the city of Boston (which is minutes away, as the airport is right there next to the city)

You could take that to Any number of stops that get you to The Green Line or Orange Line. Still in the T, switching subway lines wont cost you anything but some walking in the underground tunnels. Kinda cool actually. Very old school in some areas. Anyway you want to ultimately get to NORTH STATION where the Commuter Rail is, and the TD Garden, where the Boston Bruins and The Boston Celtics play. Commuter rail trains can now take you to the places listed above from this point. You would also be going against daily commuter foot traffic of people who work in the city both on the subways and the trains...

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Notice the above map is color coded. While a bit confusing at first, all you would need to know is that you have to get from AIRPORT on the Blue Line to North Station on either the Orange or Green Line. You can see it on the map.

With the commuter rail http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/, you are heading OUTBOUND (from Boston, out West) to one of two lines... the Concord and Lincoln stops are on the FITCHBURG train, and the Woburn stop is called Anderson, and it is on the LOWELL train. Getting to Woburn/Anderson would take you about 25 mins.

If I am not staying in Concord (and I dunno yet) then I would be able pick you up at the Woburn/Anderson station if you left North Station at either 07:25am or 07:55am. Respectively, these trains arrive at Anderson at 07:50 or 08:17. There is a later arrival one but we still need to get to the court house, grab a coffee, get situation, use the WC etc. And beat any traffic. You can see the schedule here:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...Redisplay+Time

The Fitchburg train, which brings you to Lincoln or Concord, would be more ideal if I do stay over, but there's only one train for you to make:

the 07:27am gets you to Lincoln at 08:04am and Concord at 08:10am. Note that with both stops, you would need to tell the conductor you plan to get off at one of them so they know to stop. As you can see this ride is about 35+ mins.

Here is a schedule of those:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...Redisplay+Time

In any case, you can buy your commuter rail tickets at North Station inside at a ticket counter with any form of payment. If you try to buy on the train there's a surcharge. You may just want one way, as I will most likely take you back but even if you did not need that, the purchase of two one ways is not more--at least it hasn't been.

Again I will try to compile all this stuff more clearly later on, but you can see there are subways, trains and such that could get you there. It would be great to have FTers in the area... And of course in your case you will easily be back at the airport for that late night flight.

MM