FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Phnom Penh Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:20 am
Chinatrvl

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by honu
I'm only Platinum, so I didn't expect upgrades in any case, and I received none. On PB this hotel is ok, but just so. There are many, many decent hotels in PNH, where you won't have to pay nearly as much (you'll get a great room for <$100 with wifi and breakfast included), and, more importantly, much closer to the riverside and the central market. The area where the IC is located is really not interesting at all, it's relatively far from most tourist attractions (with the exception of S21, FWIW), and it's set back enough from the riverside, you'll notice the difference in air quality. I wouldn't pay cash for a room there, nor the regular points requirement, although I can see how someone who needs the stays for qualification might book the relatively low rates (for an IC).
- There's only the Sofitel (out in the sticks), the Raffles (double price, 'interesting' décor), and the Amanjaya. Many other hotels might be a bit too "boutique" for some...
- Except for first timers, the riverside is not an area where I would want to stay at
- It takes a max. 4 USD tuk-tuk ride (which is good fun) to the riverside and less than that to street 51, 240 or BKK 1
- The area out towards the Killing Fields (along Highway 5 to HW3, Choam Chao) is a serious off-the-beaten track (night) market experience; so is the market across the street
- It's got a nice pool to escape PNH madness

So yes, it's not on the riverside, but certainly not out in the sticks, and offers a pretty good hotel, particularily for the price.

Anyway, that's off topic