FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:24 pm
Crazyhotelguy

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by dll
16-Feb-12
Delta 1149
Dep: LAX 5:00PM
Arr: HNL 8:38PM

Pre-departure Mai Tais or other beverage of choice. F-class dinner options on this 757-300 flight featured two choices: roasted chicken with broccolini and grits (that was the FA description - I thought it was more like polenta!) or stuffed gnocchi in a roasted tomato sauce. I chose the latter and my travel companion the former. Both came with typical salad and a slice of key lime pie.

I've gotta say, the stuffed gnocchi were fantastic; probably the top 5 meals I've had on a plane. It featured about 10-12 large dumplings stuffed with what appeared to be italian sausage. The sauce had a lot of veggies in it and a good roasted flavor. The roasted chicken was pretty typical DL fare. Key lime pie was a nice change of pace from their typical desserts. Was this one of the new Michael Chiarello-inspired meals?

Return flight:
20-Feb-12
Delta 1150
Dep: HNL ~8:15AM
Arr: LAX ~3:45PM

PDB served. This was a breakfast flight on a 757-300; very typical DL breakfast. Omelette or chex cereal. Nothing special to mention and a very pedestrian, plain airline breakfast.

I really quite like the 757-300 that they use on 2 of their 3 daily LAX-HNL flights. They nearly always park at the second door meaning a quiet F cabin pre-departure. While seat pitch is advertised at 37", I'd be willing to be bet it's more like 40". It's more roomy than their 767 for certain and the cabin feels more spacious. Doesn't have AVOD, obviously, but it's a nice clean plane otherwise and given the options to HNL these days it's among the best options IMO.
Had what I believed to be the gnochi on DTW-LAS just now.... The FA pawned it off as ravioli, but I am thinking gnochi. It was good, but I think mine had been a tad bit overheated as it kind of stuck to the bowl key lime pie was good.

EDITED TO ADD. So the description is actually gnochi with mushroom.. Someone questioned what they had eaten

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Feb 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm