FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:16 pm
tryinginvain

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Best airlines to avoid high fees, YQ

I couldn't find any clear answers to this so apologies if it's already covered somewhere.

I'm in the early planning stages of a mini-rtw and in the past the plan was to avoid AC, LHR and FRA to keep fees low. With YQ now being charged by AE on a lot of partner airlines I'm no longer sure of the strategy to keep 'fees' low. Searching itineraries online brings into play so many airlines & options it's not easy to figure out who the lowest are. I read TK is a good choice for this - and I've had good experiences with them, but are there any others that don't charge YQ?

I was in Asia in December and wanted to take advantage of the class upgrade, which I did, but booking online without the ANA tool or a lot of time to search I paid $690 in taxes & fees (ouch)! I want to cut that way down on my next one.

I'm looking at J class and more concerned with comfortable 180 beds than the quality of food/beverages if that matters. Do UA/CO charge YQ? My first segment will be YOW to HKG so I'm open for route suggestions. I don't have dates locked down yet but it will be sometime in Dec 2012 or Jan 2013. I don't know how much YQ is on the YYZ - HKG direct flight since I haven't found any availability on it. So I'm assuming it wont be an option anyway.