FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Paris Opéra, Opening Feb 14 2012: preopening discussion (category 7)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:00 pm
TRAVELSIG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Paris, there are so many good hotels- it is one of the most competitive markets around for the high end- and while fashion week will indeed help this hotel- it really isnt that many room nights, and I am not sure if this hotel will attract away from long time favorites like the PA, Four Seasons, Bristol, etc etc.

Rates in Paris in general have been very high in the last few years- so it is doubtful we will see a lot of discounts here- however the rooms do look very small for the rates being charged.

I am curious what happens with this hotel. Personally I have stayed twice at the Costes and really did not think it was anything so special- on the other hand the Four Seasons George V may be my very favorite city hotel in Europe and maybe worldwide. It is THAT special, and I am not even that big of a Four Seasons fan generally. The MO is supposed to be quite a design hotel as well, and I have noticed they have already had a number of VIP type events there- so there are other newcomers entering the market.

Going head to head with Ed Tuttle classic design of the Park Hyatt should also be interesting- most W hotels I have seen are too dark and have a design that looks like a cool but slightly faded disco- which is not really that inspiring. I am curious about the restaurant however- this may be interesting if it is pulled off well.

With the exception of Chicago I have also found that the Whatever service is seriously lacking for what I would expect at a hotel where I would be paying 800 EUR a night for a junior suite. Especially compared to some properties in Paris where the service is truly outstanding.

Looking forward to the first trip reports.