FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA, AA and NW from LHR-IAD-LHR and a tier point run from IAD-SJU-LAS etc
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:50 am
xenole

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
JFK-LAX was next on a 767 and this too had around an hour between flights. I spent the time browsing the few luggage and electrical shops near the gates including the seriously overpriced duty free shop - how can they charge around £9 for a 400g Toblerone that you can quite often pick up for less than a quarter of that back in the UK? Then found a power socket and added some charge to my laptop and phone and found yet another airport with no free wi-fi. MCO can provide it so why not JFK, MIA, LAX etc? Cost me $7.95 for whatever time I selected. Only having an hour, didn't get much usage from it bar checking emails and making sure my other flights and hotels were still fine.

Boarding following the usual pattern of First and other priority passengers followed by business etc and cattle class
I had chosen 3J which turned out to be a good choice.

My seat next to the window

Legroom with seat in take-off position (I'm 5ft7)

Cabin shot and the infamous "Captain Kirk" chair

Seat Controls

Fully reclined seat - not flatbed

Playing around with the footrest positions

The cabin had around 10 seats (although I could be wrong) and 2 of them remained unoccupied including the one next to me and this allowed me to use the table for my laptop whilst using my own table solely for dining.
You could see the regulars as they immediately took their shoes off etc.
Quite a few people seemed to be heading to the back and upon glancing back at business class, it looked fairly full and similar to first - not quite sure what the differences are barring a few extra seats.

Was welcomed and offered a glass of champagne or fizzy wine - couldn't identify the brand / bottle in the forward galley whilst seated but tasted fine to me (not exactly able to tell the difference between most wines and champagnes to be honest).

Pre-departure champagne

View from window before taxiing - do like to sit where an engine is visible - must be something to do with making sure it's still there!

Take-off wasn't overly fast due to a few planes in front of us but I had views of Manhattan, Staten Island, the Veranzzo Narrows Bridge etc out of my windows and it looked fantastic - marathon memories as you cross that at the start before heading into Brooklyn.

Manhattan at dusk in the top left hand corner

Marginally better view of Manhattan

Staten Island, the Verazzano Bridge and Brooklyn

Last edited by xenole; Feb 26, 2012 at 5:22 am