FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Queensland Photo Speed Ticker for USA Resident.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:20 am
*A Flyer

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by RandomTask1
Hello,

Got back from Australia at the end of January. Just got a photo speeding ticked from Cairns, Sheridan Street, right near where the higway changes with a picture of the car for a 73km/h in a 60 km zone, $200 fine.

Being a bloody minded individual, with the picture in hand I went to Google Street view. Thanks to the lane markings and the mountain in the background, I found where the camera was set up. As I was going down the road virtually in Google, I also noticed the 60km/h speed limit sign is 350 meters in front of where the camera was set up. So it appears I in fact was slowing down from the 80kph highway, but I had not slowed down enough by the time I got to the radar setup. Must be a great money maker for them.

Is the rental car company on the hook if I don't pay?. I suppose the only way QLD could ever collect on me would be if I went back to Australia for some sort of permanent to semi-permanent stretch.

I noticed in New South Wales there is a Penalty Review Board you can appeal to. Is there such a facility in Queensland?
Whether you agree with photo radar or not, you are supposed to slow down to speed before the speed limit sign, not after it. You were well over the limit so I'd suggest you suck it up and pay the fine.