FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Paris Opéra, Opening Feb 14 2012: preopening discussion (category 7)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:55 pm
FD1971
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I do believe that the Hôtel Costes will remain the place to be for the fashion world, and Mandarin Oriental, through its location, will be another important spot. Maybe the W hotel will compete with hotels like Pershing Hall (but which has a much better location).

People who used to stay at the Ritz will go to Le Bristol, Plaza Athénee and Meurice, but certainly not to W. The trend is also for the fashion world to move to luxury appartments like La Réserve, to have a more private experience.

I am not quite sure that the W brand is as hype as it was when it was launched.
Many hotels have innovative design now. And luxury hotels like Mandarin Oriental Barcelona not only have superb design but also quality of service, W hotels have not always.
The style of W hotels is stuck to 90s ... And became somewhat a copy and paste. In another word too déjà vu to be hype in capital of fashion.
Will be interesting to see who will frequent the W. If they try to appeal to a mostly US-American audience, I do see it working.

With more conservative old world customers, who appreciate a bit more substance, I do see some problems and share your fears 100%

Quite frankly, I do not expect the W to be able to compete with other chain and independant hotels offering classic, old fashioned service in the Euro 500-1000 range.