FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:05 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
don't really want this to be an insurance topic but one must utilize insurance for the tail risk events... I agree that luggage delay or cancellation are handy benefits however this isn't going to worry me... what i really worry about, shud I be caught in middle of earthquake in Cebu and needed urgent medical evac for my injured 1yr old girl and wife in coma, I will probably quickly looking bills going north of 1mm HKD... also these "SOS service" isn't readily provided by your "world-wide health coverage" insurance... the generic insurance companies simply lacks the know-how to handle these emergency.

I'm sure the guys caught in Fukushima during aftermath of 3/11 or Phuket after 2005 Tsunami would agree they swear by the travel insurance, it's really that Tail event risk we gotta manage and protect for... all the other BS benefits (hole-in-one 1000 hkd benefits?) don't matter.
SOS is the one I'm really keen on...other than Amex, do any of the insurers provide it? Does Zurich?

Amex seems to have IPA rather than SOS https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....ce.pdf#page=11, but they seem to do the same thing (directing medical evacuations).

Many of the policies cover "evacuation" - I don't give a damn how much it costs - I want it to be available.

My parents were in Phuket when the tsunami hit. Fortunately they weren't there for the beach and were golfing when the tsunami hit (they used it to extol the virtues of golf for the 8 years since). They were able to get out on their scheduled tix but it's chilling.

I remember Amex CTS being able to charter a jet out of Egypt when hour HKShxtAR govt can't http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4872 but I think that's not covered by insurance.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 21, 2012 at 12:05 am